The Bookkeeping Consultant fulfills the function of “builder” on the accounting team by doing the following for clients:
Provide advanced bookkeeping and business intelligence which supports client decision-making and the security of their organization’s funds. Possess a strategic understanding of how numbers are used.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Overseeing bookkeeping automation, including bank and credit card feeds, bank rules, transactions from 3rd party apps, and transactions from .csv files generated by our macro-powered Excel tools
- Using manual data entry processes where appropriate
- Making sure that all transactions are properly classified, authorized, and documented to the extent that is useful
- Inquiring about transactions with incomplete information; following up rigorously until that information is obtained
- Speaking up about opportunities for further bookkeeping automation
- Upholding existing bookkeeping processes in a timely manner
- Coordinating with the engagement team’s Controller or Director of Finance for business intelligence requirements for their analysis and for compliance flags such as receiving a bill from a service provider who has not provided a W-9
- Coordinating with the engagement team’s Process Engineer to update the documentation of improved bookkeeping processes and to flag when a client doesn’t follow an established process
- Being available to update and reconcile the books on every engagement at least twice/week
- Producing month-end reports and documentation
- Cleaning up accounting systems for new clients: Reconciling bank, merchant, and credit card accounts; correcting incomplete and vague transactions; adding business intelligence tags such as Class, Item, or Tracking Category; exercising judgment to standardize and simplify lists of names
- Participating in accounting system conversion and consolidation projects by reconciling bank, merchant, and credit card accounts in the new system; applying payments to invoices and to bills; confirming that the balances from the source file tie out to the balances in the new file; completing similar tasks necessary to fully complete the conversion or consolidation
- Completing special projects such as investigating, troubleshooting, and correcting Undeposited Funds account balances, clearing account balances, and otherwise turning a chaotic financial information environment into an orderly and logical financial information environment .
- Particularly prized, but not required, is the ability to program Excel macros using VBA.